Tuesday, March 1, 2011

the unlikely couple

Here it is: our story.  (Rachel's version)  It all started in October 2007 from the perspective of a girl on a couch in an apartment in Rexburg, Idaho.  Ben, then living in Bozeman, MT, was in town visiting friends for a weekend.  He dropped by our apartment to make one last stop to say goodbye to Mariah and Sarah, sisters from Bozeman and my roommates.  I saw him and thought to myself, "Can I meet this boy?"  As soon as he left I asked Mariah about him, and was sad to hear he didn't attend BYU-Idaho, or live in Rexburg for that matter.  What I was excited to hear was the fact that he would be back in two weeks for another visit.  I cancelled my planned trip to Utah that weekend in hopes of meeting Ben.

Though getting to know each other was not the most convenient task, we did it somehow.  He would make trips down to the Burg and we would hang out with friends.  We would call and text each other and use the ever useful Facebook.  I liked him.  He was funny.  He didn't mind chatting with me.  He had a killer smile, and I thought he might like me too.  
When I learned he was preparing for his mission I was excited and disappointed at the same time.  Excited, because I think anyone with the desire should serve; I know it will do a lot for them.  Disappointed, because I wanted terribly to get to know him better and date him, but thought it stupid to date so soon before he would leave.  I made him a promise to go to Bozeman for his farewell in January 2008 and called it good.  
It wasn't good enough, apparently, because by the time his mission farewell rolled around, we were dating.  The funny thing is, nothing felt rushed.  It all seemed like perfect timing.  We knew the plan for the next few years, but we also knew the affection we had for the other, and it seemed both could exist simultaneously.  It was also in the open that I was planning to serve an 18 month mission starting in March 2009, so we would be serving a good chunk of our mission's together.  This was our first adventure.
When Ben left I was so blissfully in love I couldn't stand it.  I had never experienced the feeling before.  My days were all smiles and songs, not to mention letters!  Letters were our form of communication for the next 32 months.  Honestly I couldn't recommend a better way of getting to know a person.  We would send quizzes, experiences, pictures, and stories.  We grew individually and collectively as a couple.  
The Mission experience is always looked on fondly by anyone that has served.  This was the case for us.  We both had great experiences, made some great friends, and developed as people.  Leaving mission life, for most, meant a sense of helplessness and heartbreak. For me, it meant a whole heart again!  Thankfully I was more excited to see Ben than I was nervous, and what nerves I did have were gone the second I saw him and held his hand again.
Sounds sappy and hopelessly romantic, I know, but it's true.  As we sat on the couch looking at each other FACE TO FACE and talking as opposed to the scribbles on paper we were used to, we couldn't help but comment how normal everything felt.  I know you hear it in books and movies, but honestly, it felt as though no time had passed.  That was a happy, happy day. 
It didn't take too long for us to reserve the Temple for an upcoming wedding ceremony.  I had always been incredibly reserved when it came to marriage.  What a huge decision!!! Definitely not one to be taken lightly.  Ben was all the reassurance I needed to make that leap of faith into the most committed and dependent relationship of my life.  I'm so grateful that I took that leap. 
Looking back I can't see any reason behind being nervous of marriage with Ben.  It's BEN.  We were married December 18, 2010, which means it's been a little over 2 months now.  I have never felt so complete.  I have never been so happy!  

7 comments:

  1. The part where you mentioned songs....It reminded me yet again of "Everything" I STILL think of you whenever I hear this song and I think I always will. Also..the screeching and running around the house like a fool every time you got a letter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    This blog has made me cry... not in a way of sadness but of happiness for the two of you! It must be so amazing to feel so complete and I hope to one day find someone like this. My mom even said to me the other day... "I need to find a rachels husband" and then I said what do you mean and she said someone who is my best friend and someone who makes me feel more than anything like myself and just enhances who I am instead of change who I am as a person!!
    I love you rachel and am so glad you found your love to spend the rest of eternity with!! I only hope that one day I find it in a man worth of my love as well!!!
    Love always,
    Your forever friend,
    Marne'

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun to read a little more about you and Ben...you have a way with words :)

    Happy birthday today! I'll try to call a little later. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. what a flash back! I remember sitting on my bed with you on the ground telling me about Ben and I was so happy for you because you were describing what I had with Cody and I wanted you guys to end up together so bad. You were made for each other! No other way to describe it! I envy your soon to be baby cause that kid will have one heck of a set of parents! Cherish every minute together cause people can only dream about a relationship like you have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's great to read your blog , you are both awesome and we are very grateful to have you in our family ! your going to be wonderful parents

    ReplyDelete
  6. You guys are so stinking cute! And your friends aren't that bad looking either... ;) Ha! Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your story! And your baby is bound to be beautiful because BOTH you and Ben are incredibly good looking people. :)

    ReplyDelete