Our darling girl was born on Monday, February 13, 2012.
Audrey Kristine Hubbard
Born 12.13.12
8lbs 12oz, 22in
![]() |
| About to leave for the hospital! |
For the first part of the day, all went smoothly. We were admitted at 7:30 AM, got to the labor and delivery room, met our nurses, and got everything ready to go! I was put on pitocin and began to wait. As the day progressed, so did my contractions. Every couple of hours I was checked for progression and to our dissatisfaction, with little result. Though my body was contracting and progressing toward labor, it seemed our little girl had a different idea in mind. She would not descend. We continued with the pitocin and hoped our gal would make some changes soon.
At about 8 PM, after laboring for 12 hours, our doctor came in and explained that due to Audrey's lack of progression, it was more than likely she was tangled in the cord somehow and we should consider a c-section. We had time to think about it, because Audrey wasn't in distress or anything, but we could go in to deliver within 15 minutes if we chose. At first, this thought was a bit devastating. When your plan is a vaginal delivery and your doctor says you need a c-section, it takes a bit to readjust and think positively about this new plan. Ben and I took a few minutes to ourselves. After some discussion, a few tears, and a Priesthood Blessing, we were ready to go.
We went in to surgery and Audrey Kristine was born at 8:27 PM.
It really was simple and easy on my part. In the end we were so grateful to have had a c-section, because the cord had Audrey tied up by the ankles. Can you imagine trying to push with that contradiction? We would've needed a c-section anyway. In the end it was the right decision and we are so grateful for doctors and modern medicine that keep us safe and healthy.
![]() |
| Ben all dressed and ready to go in for the delivery! |
I asked those around me to please allow Ben to be involved as much as possible. He wasn't able to cut the cord directly due to the fact that I was in open surgery, but they left the cord longer than normal and Ben was still able to have the cord cutting experience. He was also the first to hold the baby and was an active part in her first bath. He said she didn't cry but just stared wide-eyed as he and the nurse helped her clean up.
| Just after her first bath! |
During this time I was sewn up and wheeled to a room where we would stay 3 nights for recovery. I was so anxious to hold her, to see her. The only thing that kept me calm was knowing that wherever our little girl was, her daddy was sure to be, too.
At about 10 PM I finally came face-to-face with the child I had been preparing to mother since childhood, praying for, carrying, and talking to for 9 months. It was wonderful. It was beautiful.
Through the night the nurse kept asking if I wanted them to take Audrey so I could get some rest, but I refused. I just got to hold her, how could I give her up this fast?! I spent most the night staring. I talked to her. I held her close. I kissed her as much as I could.
![]() |
| Audrey and I on Valentine's Day |
I was grateful that Ben and I were blessed with time to connect with our daughter.
| Again, this is Valentine's Day. Isn't Ben incredibly handsome?! |
There is so much more to say and share, including when we left the hospital, when she met family, and her first week in this life. I'll have to update that soon.
For now, know that she is happy and healthy and we KNOW we are incredibly blessed! We are grateful God has allowed us to be the guardians of His daughter and raise her as best we can in this world. We love our girl!





Rachel, I almost teared up reading this. I loved this. She is a beautiful little girl and so blessed to have you as a mama.
ReplyDeleteLove her name also. Congratulations.
I'm gonna blame me crying through this post on me being pregnant but I'm just so happy for you two! She's so beautiful and I hope it's everything for you that it's been for me. Congrats!
ReplyDeleteShe is a beautiful little girl. So happy for your family.
ReplyDeleteyou have the best blog ever with the cutest baby in the universe
ReplyDelete