Tuesday, November 8, 2011

baby love




Ben and I LOVE our little girl. In our spare time we do everything we can to prepare for her.

This (so far) has included:
  • picking up adorable clothes at garage sales and re-sale stores
  • painting her room purple (Ben)
  • sanding and painting her crib (Ben)
  • a framed fabric board above her bed with her name
  • ribbon and fabric boards for pinning bows/ displaying pictures
  • painting a little shelf white (Ben)
  • buying diapers at a discount from college students who's children have grown to a new size
  • curtains! 
  • and more!!!


Pottery Barn peg shelf: $40 @ Downeast
Canadian Rocking Chair: passed down from Ben's grandmother, to mother, to me
Pink Picture/Bow Boards: Canvas + Fabric + Ribbon + Staple Gun
Shelf: Gift and painted white by my handsome hubby
Books (on shelf): Ben's childhood books + books I've collected
Curtains: Discounted Fabric + Twin Flat Sheet (for the lining) + Ribbon


I made SEVERAL mistakes on these curtains! I got a little overexcited about the sale at JoAnn's and bought too little fabric to make the curtains. I was SO disappointed when I brought my exciting buy home only to find I had too little fabric! I didn't want to spend the money (or time) to go back to Idaho Falls to start over with the green, so instead Ben and I made a trip to WalMart. We found a beautiful white fabric with tiny flowers that matches the curtain. I used the white to make an extension of my mistake curtains and voila! Good as new. I also purchased some pretty ribbon to make a better transition from green to white. A $5 twin flat sheet was used for the lining.
These curtains in the end cost us about $25. Maybe a little less.

Find the tutorial I learned from HERE

I found the tutorial via Pinterest: my new best friend.


I love this little nook!!! I already find myself sitting in this rocker on a daily basis. I can't wait to read the same stories to our daughter that her daddy loved when he was little. 


The shelf was given (or on loan) to us by my mom, as is the quilt rack! The back quilt is one that was made for Ben when he was a baby by his aunt. The middle was made for me by my aunt Katie. The front I made a couple weeks ago for our little love!


As I've already mentioned, Ben spent days sanding and staining this crib. I am so happy with how it looks! He also spent a lot of time and effort to paint the walls, which look professional and perfect!
The name above her bed is cut off for a reason ;) We are not sharing her first name yet for a couple reasons. First, it is subject to change. Second, when we name her it will have special meaning and we'd like to announce it with her birth! However, you CAN see what her middle name will more than likely be! It is my middle name as well. Depending on the source you use, the meaning of Kristine is: Christ-bearer, or follower of Christ. 

I made her name out of canvas + fabric + staple gun. The letters are wooden letters and I used modge podge to attach different fabrics to them. I found the frame at the DI for $1 (It used to display an old, strange map of Hawaii)

I am now contemplating a few other projects:
  • should I make a slip cover for the rocking chair?
  • pillows for the rocking chair (or I'll buy a couple at Ross)
  • make a bedskirt for the crib?
  • circle rug???

3 comments:

  1. Rach! Whenever we have out first daughter I want to pass the middle name of Kristine on to her as well. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how crafty you are being:) I have to finish Dean's quilt still, and unfortunately we can't paint his future room. But his dresser and toy box are painted and cute! Good luck with everything! P.S. I am jealous you have students to buy diapers from, I just try to find them cheap and use coupons. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. everything looks great we are excited for our granddaughter to arrive , you both are going to be awesome parents

    ReplyDelete