Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mother's Day #1

I am convinced that I have the absolute best most wonderful husband in the world. He works hard to be amazing so I want to work hard to acknowledge his efforts. Let me just say, I feel like this Mother's Day HE was the one deserving the praise.

My mommy day began, well, at night. Audrey woke up a bit in the night, so by the time 6:30am rolled around I mumbled to Ben it was his turn. That's not something I normally do, but it being 1.Sunday and 2.Mother's day I figured he would be fine to give a hand. 

and that he did.

He took Audrey and told me to 'take a nap' which I gratefully did.. till 11. 

E L E V E N

Pretty sure I needed it. It was glorious.

When I decided to roll out of bed I found a happy and eager Ben starting breakfast for me. While he did so he gave me a gift. 
I had been struggling a bit in recent weeks with confidence in myself and how Ben felt about me. Knowing that, he gave me this first:

He told me that he loves me as I am. 
This can be hard for me to believe sometimes with my MANY flaws and imperfections. As I set high goals for myself I forget to appreciate the CURRENT good in myself. I always look at Ben as being this wonderful glorious being, and I strive to be worthy of him. I don't always come to grips with reality that he isn't yet all the way as I see him (though I will ALWAYS try to treat him as if he is glorified. He will be one day), and that it's ok that I'm still growing into what I want to be. I think the point is that we love each other. As long as we strive to see the best in each other, we've got a good thing going. This is what made me so grateful for this gift. I knew that regardless of how I feel about myself, Ben was choosing to see the best in me and love me for it; something I silently beg for and am thrilled when I receive.

The next gift comes with an explanation. We know that we are God the Father's children. There are countless scriptures that attest to that fact. Well, there is a hymn that includes the words, 
"In the Heavens, are parents single? No, the thought makes reason stare. Truth is reason, truth eternal tells me I've a Mother there."
I have pondered this quite a bit. I want to know who she is, what she's like. I want to feel close to her. I want to be like her. In giving this next gift, Ben mentioned he knows there is virtually nothing more than that song written of her, however, there has been a woman on this earth that must make a close resemblance... 


...Mary.

This book Ben gave me presents only scriptural evidence and commentary of Mary's life. There aren't many scriptures that talk about her, but we can know of what it must have been like to grow up at that time, and catch a glimpse at her life of courage, faith, devotion, and sacrifice.
 Due to the sentimentality of it all, this is probably one of the best gifts I've ever received. It brought to perspective for me the eternal nature of motherhood and so much more.

To say 'I love my man' just doesn't cut it.

We went to church. The primary children sang their adorable songs. I noticed in class that a lot of the young couples must have ditched the 2nd and 3rd hour to visit family; I gratefully listened to the lesson. Though I love my mom and mother-in-law, I was grateful to soak in my first mommy day as an actual mom with the people who made me one (my man and my girl).

Ben had a beautiful dinner planned which he promptly and anxiously got to when we got home. Get this: Snow crab, couscous, Salmon, red potatoes, and salad... 


Remember when I said I have the absolute best most wonderful husband in the world?
It was DELICIOUS.

Did I mention for dessert he made pie?


Apple pie warmed up with vanilla bean ice cream. YUM.

Once we let our tummies settle a bit we took our girlie on a walk. What a beautiful day outside!


To say I had a glorious first Mother's Day is an understatement.
It was a much appreciated day after a somewhat personally rough week, and I'm grateful for my man who will wake up and smell the roses with me when it's needed, then step up to the plate, and in fact knock the ball out of the park, when the time calls.

Regardless of what happens in life I will strive to praise my man's name forever.
This day he clearly deserved it.



No comments:

Post a Comment